The Max-Planck-Institut für Astrophysik (MPA) has developed significant expertise in the area of simulating the formation of cosmic structure. The scientific exploitation of such simulations requires the coordinated execution of a series of chained program modules. Such a task requires automatic analysis methods known as scientific workflows.Within the AstroGrid-D project the following work items shall be carried out:
- Such workflows (or "pipelines") shall be efficiently executed in a self-documenting fashion by a workflow engine (process management system).
- A system shall be developed, which is particularly suited to the requirements of astronomical data processing.
- The Planck Process Coordinator (ProC) workflow engine shall be adapted to the D-GRID environment.
- shall be enabled to manage and execute workflows consisting of Grid resources.
- the analysis and post-processing software for the simulation data shall be embedded into the D-GRID environment in such a way that its execution can be coordinated by the ProC and the DMC.
- the simulation data sets and derived synthetic observation data, and
- the ProC and the DMC.